Monday, October 20, 2008

Pretty in Pink

The month of October always brings pumpkins, scary costumes and now… pink wedding dresses?

Okay, it may not make sense at first, but it has probably been impossible to avoid all the pink merchandise this month. The reason being that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

An article out of Brides magazine was brought to my attention the other day, and I knew I'd love it, what girl could resist the title Something Pink? As I read through, I was amazed by the concept of "the pink wedding gown." Brides magazine selected 21 designers to create pink-themed wedding gowns, the sales of which will benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF). (And don't worry if pink isn't your color, in most cases, the wedding gowns are sold in more color varieties than pink, like white, ivory, or blue.)

Personally, breast cancer research and awareness is a cause very close to my heart. At the age of 33, my mother's sister, Auntie Marianne, found a lump in her breast while receiving a mammogram.

Me, Aunt Marianne and my sister Gina

Two years later, at the age of 59, my grandmother, my "nonnie", found the same lump; both had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Me and Nonnie

My aunt went through chemotherapy and radiation only to find out that her cancer had come back a second time. My nonnie refused chemotherapy because of her age, yet went through radiation.

They are both breast cancer survivors.

Being a woman who has a high risk of breast cancer myself, I appreciate the efforts of awareness our country sets out to establish. I love when brides support their most important charities through the little decorations they've chosen for their wedding. I love to find out that people, including magazines, small businesses, and even Girl Scout troops, are continually creating new ideas to support such an important cause.

Go Pink!
~Josie

No comments: